Pages

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Me (20 pounds lighter) Made

     I haven't posted in a very long time.  As the school year comes to a close, I hope to have some time to sew.  Starting each morning with the frustrating task of finding something to wear has motivated me to get busy.  I need a new wardrobe thanks to Weight Watchers.  It is an exciting place to be yet a bit overwhelming.  So many fabrics, so many choices!  The practical side of me says, "Just alter the clothes you have."  Hopefully, the impractical side will get motivated to sew go crazy and tear into my stash the day I say farewell to my kiddos.
     This morning, while trying to get ready for church, I came across this dress that I made about two years ago from Vogue 8351.  I was never able to wear it because it was too tight.  Rushing to get something made, I didn't bother to fit the pattern correctly because it was stretchy.  My bumps and bulges didn't look so great in the cotton Spandex, so I put it in the back of my closet and forgot about it until this morning.
     Sorry about the quality of the pictures.  I couldn't find my camera, so D took these with our Ipad. He is not a natural photographer, however, I appreciate his willingness to help.  With the wind blowing in my face, I don't look very excited, but I love this dress.  It is incredibly comfortable and the print from JoAnn Fabrics is really me.  I love geometric patterns.  
     I will definitely make this again now that I don't have to carry around the spare tire.  The short-sleeved version will be great to wear this summer hemmed just above the knee.  I really enjoy working with knits.
     This pattern was very easy.  I made it before I bought my coverstitch machine, so the hem will be even simpler.  I will probably make an adjustment to the front neckline.  The front bodice is self lined because it is made from one folded piece.  It shows more cleavage than I care to reveal when the cowl is not laying just right.  

7 comments:

  1. Lovely to hear from you. Well done on your weight loss. The dress looks gorgeous on you. Lovely fabric. Enjoy the upcoming break from school, and happy stitching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is always so nice to hear from you! I have been following all of your posts. It allows me to enjoy the creativity of others while I am unable to find any time to experience it myself. Loved your sewing machine cover.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your weight loss. I think I found your 20 pounds. Do you want them back because I don't want them! I didn't think so. I too, am going to sew like crazy when school is over in two weeks. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It is always bitter-sweet to end the school year. I will miss my little ones, but the promise of my sewing room is exciting. I appreciate the offer of your found pounds. I have tried to give mine away for years. Hope I can avoid finding them for awhile. I think the work that goes into new makes will motivate me.

      Delete
  3. Congratualtions on your life-change! It's an impressive feat to alter one's lifestyle and it's always inspiring to hear of goals being conquered =)
    Love the dress, and looking forward to seeing the sewing projects your soon-free-time will lead to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulation on your weight loss! and how fantastic to have the perfect excuse to make lots of lovely new clothes :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes, be impractical and make lots of fun new things! I'm enabling ;) I'm slowly working on losing some of this baby weight so I can do the same. You look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete