Pages

Saturday, May 3, 2014

On My Sewing Table

Life Lesson: Procrastination = Nightmares
I learned this lesson years ago, yet I continue to relearn it every now and then.  This lovely pink ball of fluff is a prom dress with five layers with many fishline ruffles and layers of tulle attached to the top layer.  It is truly beautiful on the very sweet girl who will wear it tonight, but from the point of view of the person hemming it -- well you can imagine.  
Fortunately, I didn't have time to procrastinate as I have in the past.  She brought it to me last Thursday before I left for a weekend quilt retreat.  Monday night I began on the under-layers. No time to work on it on Tuesday.  Changed methods for the top layer Wednesday.  No time Thursday.  Worked, cleaned my classroom, finished lesson plans, set up classroom for Monday, and stayed up until 1 a.m. last night finishing the most unusual hem that I have ever done.
Ready for the prom tonight.  The lighting is not good at nine o'clock in the morning for pictures.  I took up 2 1/2 inches all the way around on the underside.  Because the ruffles are attached vertically, I had to sew between each column of ruffles staring and stopping to avoid catching the ruffle.  Normally, I would have taken it up at the waist, but the ruffles were shaped beautifully, and I would have lost the effect.  It felt so wrong to do such an unconventional hem, but I am happy with the results.  No one will ever know where it was shortened but me.   The hem can even be removed if the dress goes to her taller, younger sister.  Can't wait to see the pictures tomorrow!


6 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! What an amazing prom dress. Well done on taming that hem for her. Will you be able to share a pic of the dress being worn?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes I will be sharing a beautiful picture in my next post. The prom dresses today are quite elaborate and sometimes as expensive as a wedding dress.

      Delete
  2. Wow, what a lot of work hemming!!! It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It was a lot of work, but she is my good friend's daughter, a former student of mine, and definitely worth the time.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is one pretty in pink dress! I can only imagine how many hours went into this dress, but well worth it.

    ReplyDelete