Pages

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

American Sewing Expo in Novi

I feel very fortunate to live in the area that hosts a huge event like the American Sewing Expo.  It was an incredible experience!  I met some of the people who inspire and educate me through blogs, online classes, and TV shows. 
I could listen to Gretchen Hirsch for hours.  She is well informed and looks at sewing in a refreshing way.  She is open and creative without the rigidity that some of us older sewers experience in our methods.  I attended two of the seminars she hosted: Intro to Retro Dressmaking and How to Write as Successful Blog.  My simpler blog design is a direct result of the latter.  She suggested that readers enjoy personal connections--hence the picture of my sweet companion, Darby.  He lays on the pins by my feet while I sew.
Angela Wolf is just as inspirational.  I am so excited to see a new generation of sewist carrying this passion for creating and machines that make amazing clothes.  I bought her T-shirt pattern and used a piece of fabric that wouldn't work with the pattern purchased for it.  She is brilliant in her armhole construction.  I usually find that my shirt ride up whenever I pull the map down in my classroom, but today it didn't happen.  Please excuse the picture.  My photography skill still leave a lot to be desired.
The spots had to be carefully placed, but I was happy with the end result.  The neckline is one of my favorites.

I love the ruching on the side and sleeve.  I am not laying down in the top photo--just too lazy to go back and rotate the picture.
 
I don't have any pictures of Susan Khalje, but her Couture Hand Sewing seminar was great.  It was two hours long with interactive demonstrations.  I was pleased to remember using many of the techniques in the past, however, seeing the garments she had made took the stitches to a new level for me. 
I stayed for Friday and Saturday evening after the seminars and the venders were finished to see the two fashion shows.  Each served a different purpose.  The talent was unbelievable in bothl
If you have never attended an event like the "Sewing Expo," treat yourself.  I hope to go every year.  I spent two full days and didn't begin to experience all that was offered.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment